SPECIALS/EVENTS IN THE AEGEAN SEA
TRAIL BUILDING WEEK THESSALONIKI 2019
International Trail Building Week in Thessaloniki - 30 March 2019 – 06 April 2019
Meet the Locals - Build and Ride III
Aegean Trails is an international solidarity initiative, which stands for the construction of legal paths and their maintenance along with a uniform signposting system in Greece. The project also covers the touristic usability and worldwide promotion of the trail network. Step by step the Aegean continues to develop as a attractive bike region, which can benefit both locals and tourists equally.
After two successful trail building weeks on the Dodecanese Islands in 2017 and 2018 (Kos, Leros, Patmos, Nisyros) we are now changing the location in order to spread the scope of the Aegean Trails idea.
Our partner for this phase of the project, Outline Tourism, is a mountain bike tourism company located in Thessaloniki, offering MTB holidays in Greece as well as the development and promotion of mountain bike destinations and bike hotels.
Aegean Trails in cooperation with Outline Tourism, are giving the chance not only to the local MTB community, but also to riders from all over Europe to participate and take part in this phase of the project, which we believe, will bring our vision of making Aegean a world class MTB destination one step further!
Thessaloniki and its surroundings are the best choice for the Aegean Trails construction week 2019 for several reasons:
- There is already a well-developed existing trail network, which can be improved.
- There is already a very active local MTB community, meaning a local base with love and enthusiasm for the mountain bike sport which is essential for the success of the project.
- With Outline Tourism we have a well-organized local tourism partner who will use newly built trails for touristic purposes and can support the trail building week with great knowledge and contacts.
- The city of Thessaloniki is already an attractive travel destination, but in combination with excursions to destinations such as Mt. Olympus, it can grow into a fantastic mountain bike destination, which is easy to promote due to its natural and cultural highlights.
The Aegean Trails building weeks connect people from all over Europe and unite them in their passion for mountain biking. Side by side for a common purpose - true European spirit! Be a part of it!
Trail Building Event in Thessaloniki at a glance
30 March 2019 – 06 April 2019 (Arrival & Departure: to/from Thessaloniki SKG)
Aegean Trails is a non-profit project that finances all trail building events solely through donations. Therefore, participation is not possible free of charge.
Contribution towards expenses: 300 € per participant (number of participants is limited to 10) as a donation to our crowdfunding campaign "Build trails for Aegean's future"
- MTB event in the region of Central Macedonia in Greece
- 7 overnight stays in a double room incl. breakfast in Thessaloniki
- 7 dinners
- 5 trail building pack-snacks
- All transfers to building and riding spots
- Airport transfers
- Building & Biking with the local MTB community under expert trail building guidance
- Attractive social program
- Arrival & Departure: to/from Thessaloniki
- Drinks except mineral water
- Rental Bike (price on request)
We plan a good mixture of trail building and test riding on the newly built lines as well as maintenance of already existing trails. The main focus is on trail building around Thessaloniki together with the local MTB community. Biking and an excursion to Mt. Olympus or Velvedos are part of the supporting program.
- Installation and construction of new trails
- Clearance and maintenance of existing trails
- Biking and sightseeing
Saturday 30 March
Individual arrival at Thessaloniki - Welcoming - Dinner - Briefing
Sunday 31 March
Group division - Trail building day in Thessaloniki
Monday 1 April
Trail building day in Thessaloniki
Tuesday 2 April
Ride Velvedos or Olympus
Wednesday 3 April
Trail building day in Thessaloniki
Thursday 4 April
Trail building day – Riding around Thessaloniki
Friday 5 April
Free morning with option of a guided tour through the historic center of Thessaloniki and/or riding
Saturday 6 April
Free day – Individual departure from Thessaloniki
Contact for registration
If you are interested in further information or participation, please send an email to Andrea Hahn: email@example.com